Monday, June 24, 2013

[Initial Reaction] Angel Sanctuary: Ch 1

I went and sought out this manga on the recommendation of someone on Tumblr who likes most of the things I like and is mainly a Game of Thrones blogger. I'm not sure I like it.

The first chapter was full of infodump and a mass character introduction that would have put Pern to shame. I could barely understand what was happening, let alone keep the characters straight. There's a few that stood out, such as incest girl and nerdy chick. Though, if you asked me to name the boy's character traits, I couldn't event begin to tell you which one is incest boy.

It also suffered from the 90's era over-saturation of screentones, and folds and individual hair strands. Everything was muddled and messy, which didn't help when I couldn't separate characters identities. It was like watching an action film really close up, and in fact, most shots are done from the waist up, or in extreme closeup.

I just, have no idea what is happening. I guess there's some angels finding the human bodies of other angels, or perhaps their fallen angels? Nerd girl is super mad that incest boy won't pay attention to her and vows to murder his sister, but get's showered in the face with glass and is now blind. Blind with vengeance!

No, I really am baffled by this whole concept. I'll forge ahead to see if it starts making more sense. As of this moment, blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment