Wednesday, July 24, 2013

[Movie] Pacific Rim


Okay, so it's not really anime. It is, however, heavily influenced. Also, where else am I going to write about a implausible giant robot movie?

I absolutely loved this movie. From the onset, the first infodump, I was in love. The giant monsters are all unique and interesting, destroying in their own special way. None of them look overly hokey or godzillaish. One reminded me a whole lot of the Cloverfield monster, if if had wings and barfed acid. Terrifying.

We did shell out the seventeen bucks to see it in IMAX 3D. Granted, I'm not one of those people who go see every movie in 3D. There are movies where 3D would certainly enhance the experience and if I'm going to already shell out the money to see it that way, we might as well go all out with the IMAX. Totally worth it. Those water effects.

I also didn't suffer from that disorientation I get when attempting to watch the Transformer movies. You know the one. The 'What the goddamn hell part of the robot is that?' one. Sure, if someone paused the movie at certain points, I might be hard pressed to tell them exactly what part of the robot that was, but overall that was only during transitions into better shots where I could clearly decide what sort of battling was happening.


The robots themselves were varied and awesome. One robot had the huge Big O cowl and crooked Miyazaki eyes while another looked more like an Eva with it's concave face. Of course there was the general Gundam approach and the American's had one that looked a bit like a Space Marine from Starcraft, but it gave them all character and made them interesting.

The main character is one of my favorite actors, Charlie Hunnam. I'm so glad to see him in more things. Highschool crush! Sigh. I used to watch him on Undeclared. He's only my second favorite on Sons of Anarchy because really there's no contest against Katie Segal. He's also got kind of this gross beard thing going on in SoA, so seeing him cleaned up is always extra points.

I'm allowed to post shirtless men with the amount of TnA otherwise.

The secondary characters are all awesome. Idris Elba is a great organization head, gruff but not belligerent. Charlie Day and Burn Gorman make a wonderfully quirky scientific team.  Ron Perlman's cameo is pretty much perfect. All the other Jaeger pilots are awesome in their own special way.



The Kaidanovskys were like the best thing ever. She went into battle in full, perfect makeup and totally outshines everyone else in the scene. I may be a bit of a Cherno Alpha fangirl, not going to lie. I have since read up on their backstory and really, all I can make is inarticulate noises about it.



The story line, you guys. Can't have giant robots without all of the heart wrenching feels. I can tell you that I didn't cry as much as some of my friends, but oh did I cry. I wasn't ready for the assault on my feelings. Even though I KNEW it was going to be brutal, I didn't think the sadness would flow before the title sequence.

Seriously, go see it. It was a fun. I'm still high on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment